The Blues boss saw the World Cup winner put in another impressive performance against Newcastle, with the Frenchman thriving after shaking off knocks
Frank Lampard claims to have “so much faith” in N’Golo Kante after seeing the Chelsea midfielder face questions of his form, fitness and future.
The France international has two Premier League titles and a World Cup winners’ medal to his name, but has seen a move away from Stamford Bridge mooted.
Speculation was first sparked when Maurizio Sarri took to shifting the 29-year-old out of his favoured holding role.
Lampard has also used Kante in a more advanced position during his reign in west London, but has seen him shine of late in the berth that made him a household name.
Goal 50 Revealed: The best 50 players in the world
Another eye-catching showing sweeping up in front of the Blues’ back four was put in against Newcastle on Saturday, in a 2-0 win for Chelsea, with confidence restored to all concerned.
Lampard told reporters on the influence Kante can have when performing at the peak of his powers: “I know what you mean by quietly influential but he’s much more than that for us.
“Last year he missed 50 per cent of the games with injuries, he had a tough time for different reasons and we are working very hard on that to get him fit and fresh.
“Now we are managing his training and game time, but his levels of performances are really high.
“I keep saying every time I get asked about N’Golo that I have so much faith in him and the top midfield player that he is in world football.
“Not just breaking up and winning balls back, as we know that is a huge quality of his, but his passing and supporting in midfield and playing in that deeper role now has been a very comfortable transition for him. Really, really happy with him.”
Lampard added when asked if he considers Kante to be over the injury issues that have been holding him back: “I don’t want to tempt fate as at the minute he is going well. It’s a constant one for us where we are managing it.
“When I came in at the start of last season he had been injured from the Europa League final and that just rolled on through the year so we just chased it down from there. That was unfortunate and so unfortunate for us to lose him for 50 per cent of the games because of the level of player he is.
“We have had a better period of him to get him in a place where we are really happy with.
“We’re aware and we keep check on his training and numbers and how much distance he travels because every time you train and allow him off the leash in training he makes ridiculous output because of the way he plays.
“We are very careful with that and at the
Cape Breton mother questions why referrals continued after complaints made about Bedford-based dentist | Provincial | News
RESERVE MINES, N.S. —
A Reserve Mines mother is wondering why her complaints about Dr. Errol Gaum to a Sydney dental clinic didn’t stop them from referring patients to the Bedford-based dentist.
Wendy McNeil said she was “sick” when she read Ryan Binder’s post about the appointment his six-year-old daughter had with Gaum on Nov. 10, which lead to him filing a complaint with the Nova Scotia dental board.
“I could have written that, it was so much like what my daughter when through (six-years ago),” said McNeil.
The McNeils’ daughter was also six at the time of the visit and McNeil said her husband wanted to hire a lawyer when they returned to Cape Breton. McNeil convinced him not to and called Mayflower Dental, who made the referral to Gaum, to file a complaint.
It wasn’t until she read Binder’s post and saw his daughter was also referred by Mayflower Dental she realized Gaum was still treating children.
On Thursday, the Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia suspended Gaum’s licence indefinitely after an emergency meeting the night before. Halifax Regional Police have also confirmed they are investigating multiple complaints filed against a dentist at the address where Gaum’s office is.
McNeil was shocked when she realized her complaint to Mayflower Dental in 2014 didn’t result in changes.
“I figured (by calling and reporting it) the referrals would stop at least,” she said. “Stupid me, on my behalf.”
Mayflower Dental regional director Rob Redshaw said the Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia deals with complaints and is the organization they should be submitted to.
Citing privacy, Redshaw said he couldn’t speak more about complaints or referrals.
“With respect to client privilege and patient privilege, as well as with our dentists and the dentists we refer to, we can’t discuss in any way, shape or form … any of the processes when it comes to referrals (or receiving complaints about referred dentists),” Redshaw said.
“The dentist does not get involved with (the complaint) process at all. Getting the information from anyone but the source (when the complaint is filed) isn’t correct.”
“I could have written that, it was so much like what my daughter when through (six-years ago),” — Wendy McNeil
Redshaw was able to say when they get a complaint they advise clients to call the dental board.
McNeil said when she filed hers with Mayflower Dental she “definitely” wasn’t told this and would have if she’d been advised to.
“I persuaded (my husband) not to (hire a lawyer). I thought by calling Mayflower Dental something would be done,” she said.
“But now it seems nothing was done to stop this from happening to other children. It really was just an apology … My daughter heard us talking about this the other day and she said, ‘This kind of thing could give a person PTSD.'”
Both the Nova Scotia Dentists Association and Nova Scotia Dental Assistants Association confirmed they don’t have guidelines for members
1. How is this virus different?
Unlike the coronavirus responsible for the 2002-2003 outbreak in Asia of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, this new one can spread via people who are infected but have yet to develop symptoms, or don’t at all. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 40% to 45% of SARS-CoV-2 infections occur without symptoms. A study by researchers at the Yale School of Public Health’s Center for Infectious Disease Modeling and Analysis found “silent” transmitters are responsible for more than half of the cases in Covid-19 outbreaks. What’s more, the new virus has a relatively long incubation period — the time between infection and the appearance of symptoms — enabling it to spread silently in a community before being detected. The interval is about five to six days compared with two days for the flu, which spreads the same way and is the most common cause of pandemics. The stealthy nature of the coronavirus wasn’t well understood at first and contributed to the staggered and uneven quality of the response.
Read more: Why ‘Silent Spreaders’ Make Coronavirus Hard to Beat: QuickTake
2. Why wasn’t it contained?
On Jan. 23, China imposed the most extensive quarantine in known history in Hubei province, where the outbreak began in the capital Wuhan, an industrial city of 11 million. By then, however, the virus had been seeded in other places. Starting in early February, many countries introduced travel bans but not before the virus had reached around the world. Governments issued stay-at-home orders and mandated “social distancing” to “flatten the curve” of new infections. But the economic toll propelled reopenings that in many places brought a surge in new cases, sometimes followed by new movement restrictions. It took months for some governments to recommend or mandate that people wear masks in public to counter the virus’s silent spread, and many still haven’t done so.
Read more: Mask or No Mask? And Which Kind? What the Experts Say: QuickTake
3. What’s the biggest mystery about the virus?
One major question is whether those who get the coronavirus emerge with immunity. Generally speaking, infections prompt the body to develop antibodies that protect against reinfection, although there are notable exceptions such as HIV and malaria. By mid-year a slew of antibody test kits were available, including some that could be taken at home. Many tests, however, weren’t reliable. What’s more, researchers still don’t know whether the presence of antibodies means someone has immunity, or how long that protection might last. With the main coronaviruses that cause the common cold, immunity generally doesn’t last very long. In Hong Kong, a man tested positive for the coronavirus in late August after recovering from a different strain in April, in what scientists said was the first documented case of reinfection. The man had no symptoms the second time, however, suggesting his immune system provided some protection, according to doctors. Dozens of reinfections have since been reported, according to a tracker maintained by
With winter looming and a ‘second wave’ of coronavirus being experienced in major UK cities such as London, Liverpool and Manchester, Health Secretary Matt Hancock is now urging people to take vitamin D to boost overall health and, with new evidence being found, to potentially protect the public against this surge in covid-19 cases.
Part of a wider increase in public health messaging, the Government is encouraging people to take vitamin D daily — the NHS recommends around 10 micrograms of vitamin D, equivalent to one salmon fillet — which will help keep bones and muscles healthy as local ‘lockdowns’, social restrictions and weather changes keep people indoors throughout winter.
Currently, it’s thought that one in five Brits are deficient in vitamin D — that’s around 13 million people — and, with the body usually creating vitamin D from direct sunlight on the skin, it’s an important vitamin to take during winter when days are shorter and darker.
Add to this Matt Hancock’s recent U-turn on government advice to vitamin D supplementation and it’s a no-brainer that investing in the supp is a smart move. “Blood vitamin D levels go down when people develop serious illness. The same thing happens to other blood tests such as blood cholesterol, or blood zinc levels, which also fall when someone is sick. These changes are part of what is called the acute phase response. Moreover, the sicker people are, the more exaggerated are these changes,” explained Naveed Sattar, a professor of metabolic medicine at University of Glasgow.
“This means that it is likely the occurrence of illness that is leading to lower blood vitamin D levels… and not that low vitamin D levels, are causing Covid-19.”
With this in mind, we’ve assembled our go-to vitamin D guide, with expert input from nutritionists and health experts, to help you clear up any confusion.
Sign up to the Men’s Health newsletter and kickstart your home body plan. Make positive steps to become healthier and mentally strong with all the best fitness, muscle-building and nutrition advice delivered to your inbox.
For effective home workouts, uplifting stories, easy recipes and advice you can trust, subscribe to Men’s Health UK today
By Deena Beasley and Vishwadha Chander
(Reuters) – Gilead Sciences Inc has questioned the findings of a World Health Organization (WHO) study that concluded its COVID-19 drug remdesivir does not help patients who have been admitted to hospital.
The American company told Reuters the data appeared inconsistent, the findings were premature and that other studies had validated the drug’s benefits.
In a blow to one of the few drugs being used to treat people with COVID-19, the WHO said on Thursday its “Solidarity” trial had concluded that remdesivir appeared to have little or no effect on 28-day mortality or length of hospital stays among patients with the respiratory disease.
The antiviral medication was one of the drugs used to treat U.S. President Donald Trump’s coronavirus infection, and has been shown in previous studies to have cut time to recovery, though the European Union is investigating it for possible kidney injury.
The WHO trial was conducted in 11,266 adult patients in more than 30 countries. The evidence was conclusive, the WHO said.
Gilead said other trials of remdesivir, including with 1,062 patients that compared it with a placebo, showed the treatment cut COVID-19 recovery time.
“The emerging (WHO) data appears inconsistent, with more robust evidence from multiple randomized, controlled studies published in peer-reviewed journals validating the clinical benefit of remdesivir,” Gilead told Reuters.
Gilead said it was “unclear if any conclusive findings can be drawn” given what it called differences in how the trial was conducted from site to site and between the patients who received the medicine.
In April, the top U.S. infectious disease official, Anthony Fauci, predicted remdesivir would become “the standard of care”.
Companies such as Gilead are racing to find a treatment for COVID-19. Some 1.1 million people have died and 39.1 million have been reported infected in the pandemic, and the global economy has been thrown into chaos.
Remdesivir was developed for Ebola, which causes fever, bleeding, vomiting and diarrhoea and spreads among humans through bodily fluids.
It was quickly repurposed and has offered some hope for patients, though the WHO’s findings may shift the focus of the search for a vaccine to new monoclonal antibodies being developed by companies including Regeneron.
The Solidarity trial also evaluated hydroxychloroquine, anti-HIV drug combination lopinavir/ritonavir and interferon, and concluded that they, like remdesivir, did little to help patients survive or leave the hospital more quickly.
The WHO trial’s results are yet to be reviewed and were uploaded on the preprint server medRxiv. (https://bit.ly/3nViYIf)
Gilead say the Solidarity conclusions, lacking scrutiny from other scientists, were premature.
“We are concerned the data from this open-label global trial has not undergone the rigorous review required to allow for constructive scientific discussion, particularly given the limitations of the trial design,” it said.
Remdesivir got emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on May 1, and has been authorized for use in several countries.
During the Solidarity study, trials of hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir were stopped in June after