A Pembroke, Ont., woman who was found guilty of impaired driving causing death in 2015 has lost her dentist’s licence for six months.
According to the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, Christy Natsis will also be monitored for the next two and half years through office visits, pay $7,500 in costs to the college and receive an official reprimand.
The college cited Natsis breaking the law and acting with “disgraceful, dishonourable, unprofessional or unethical conduct.”
Those allegations were uncontested, a spokesperson for the college said, and the hearing proceeded with an agreed statement of facts and a joint submission for the penalty.
The college held a teleconference on Thursday and announced its decision.
Natsis was found guilty in May 2015 — after a 55-day trial that stretched over three years — of impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death in the March 2011 crash that killed Bryan Casey.
She was eventually sentenced to five years in prison, which she unsuccessfully appealed.
Pembroke dentist Christy Natsis has lost her license to practice for six months in connection to her past conviction of drunk driving causing death.
Natis was sentenced to five years in prison in 2012 after being found guilty of drunk driving causing death in a 2011 crash that killed Bryan Casey on Highway 17 near Arnprior. She was granted parole in June of 2019 after serving just 13 months and resumed her practice a short time later.
A hearing before the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario on Thursday found Natsis guilty of two allegations against her, one of breaking the law and a second of disgraceful, dishonourable, unprofessional or unethical conduct.
The decision means Natsis has been formally reprimanded by the College, will have her license suspended for six months and have her practice monitored with regular visits until April 18, 2023. The suspension will take effect on Dec. 26. She must also pay $7,500 in costs.
Natsis’ trial was one of the long in Canadian history, dragging on for three years before she was convicted and another two years for appeals to be exhausted.
Casey, a father of three, was killed in the crash with Natsis on the night of March 31, 2011.
She’s had her hands full after welcoming her first daughter, Clementine Abigail Ferne, in September.
But on Monday, Ash Pollard took some time out of her busy schedule to visit the dentist for the first time in 10 months.
The 34-year-old chronicled her experience on her Instagram Stories, by sharing a very detailed video of the procedures she had done.
‘My first visit to the dentist in 10 months. OMG, too long between cleans thanks,’ she captioned the clip.
In the video, Ash had used an effect to make her eyes and mouth oversized as she showed off her teeth, which had purple dye on them.
‘This stuff sticks to the parts on your teeth you aren’t cleaning properly… got to rinse it off first,’ she explained in a caption.
The dentist was also heard telling her: ‘It’s plaque disclosing solution, you need to rinse it off first, that’s not the actual end result.’
Ash was then shown reclining back in the chair as the dentist worked on cleaning her teeth.
Finally the radio presenter received a fluoride treatment, which she was informed will help ‘protect her teeth against decay and acids’.
It comes after Ash revealed she was finally been able to dye her blonde locks again for the first time since falling pregnant.
Taking to Instagram last month, she shared a picture of herself in the salon’s chair as she awaited to become a sassy shade of peroxide blonde once again.
‘OMG. I’m THAT pumped for this,’ she captioned the shot.
Eight out of 10 adult Filipinos believe that a vaccine and a medicine against the 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) will be available in the next 12 months, the latest survey revealed.
The Social Weather Stations (SWS) said on Thursday night, Nov. 12, that its National Mobile Phone Survey conducted during Sept. 17 to 20 showed that “80% of adult Filipinos expect a vaccine against Covid-19 to be available in the next 12 months.”
The SWS noted that , among the 80 percent, 53 percent say it will probably happen, while, 27 percent believe it will definitely happen.
The same survey also found that “80% expect the availability of medicine for the effective treatment of Covid-19 in the next 12 months.”
They include 27 percent who believe that it will definitely happen and 53 percent who say that it will probably happen.
On the other hand, the SWS said 17 percent of adult Filipinos don’t expect a COVID-19 vaccine in 12 months.
Among those who don’t believe a vaccine will be released in 12 months, 12 percent say that it will probably not happen, while five percent believe it definitely will not happen.
Also, the SWS said the survey showed that 17 percent don’t expect a medicine for COVID-19 will be available in 12 months including 11 percent who say it will probably not happen and six percent who believe it will definitely not happen.
The latest SWS survey is “a probability-based survey conducted using mobile phone and computer-assisted telephone interviewing (CATI).”
There were 1,249 adult Filipinos, ages 18 years old and above, who participated in the nationwide survey.
They include 309 in Metro Manila, 328 in Balance Luzon, 300 in the Visayas, and 312 in Mindanao.
The SWS noted that the sampling error margin are ±3 percent for national percentages, ±6 percent for Metro Manila, ±5 percent for Balance Luzon, ±6 percent for the Visayas, and ±6 percent for Mindanao.
“The area estimates were weighted by the Philippine Statistics Authority medium-population projections for 2020 to obtain the national estimates,” the SWS said.
The SWS noted that the latest survey is non-commissioned and done on its own initiative and released as a public service.
SIGN UP TO DAILY NEWSLETTER
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
A dentist in Perth, Australia has received two months in jail for treating 41 patients while she was supposed to be in two weeks of mandatory self-quarantine to prevent the spread of covid-19. The judge’s sentence is the harshest covid-related punishment passed down in Australia since the pandemic began earlier this year, with most people receiving fines for infractions.
The dentist, identified by Australia’s ABC News as Natalia Nairn, flew home to the state of Western Australia from the capital city of Canberra back in June. Nairn reportedly left her home on at least seven occasions to visit her dental clinic and saw 41 patients. At least one of those visits occurred after she’d already been visited by police.
Nairn told the judge that she didn’t think she had to self-quarantine because she was “feeling fine,” but the judge, Matthew Walton, called her excuses, “staggeringly naive or at the very least irrelevant.” Nairn eventually pleaded guilty and was sentenced today to seven months in prison, with five months of her sentence suspended, according to ABC News.
The state of Western Australia was the first to set up what it calls a “hard border” with Australia’s other states, requiring any residents returning to the state to self-quarantine for two weeks. Non-residents of the state have been completely forbidden from traveling to Western Australia without a special exemption, such as the need to take care of a loved one.
Australia’s other states have followed Western Australia’s lead, setting up checks for interstate travel within Australia, though those restrictions have changed over the past six months based on which part of the country is currently experiencing an outbreak. The strategy has paid off for Australia, which reported just six cases of coronavirus on Sunday and no deaths.
Australia has identified 27,658 cases and 907 deaths since the pandemic began, a relatively low figure compared to the U.S. and Europe. The state of Victoria saw a huge surge in cases this past July and August and the Premier (Australia’s version of a state governor), enacted a strict lockdown to crush the case curve. Australia also took extra financial steps to make sure people could stay home, including a boost for unemployment benefits, three months of free childcare, and wages for those who’ve been furloughed.
There were complaints and protests in Victoria over the past few months, but the lockdowns worked and most of Australia is starting to return to normal life. In Western Australia, which hasn’t seen a case of community infection since May, life looks pretty much exactly as it did before the pandemic struck, with restaurants and businesses open at full capacity, and sporting events hosting thousands of spectators.
The U.S., by contrast, saw 102,588 new cases yesterday, the largest ever recorded on a Sunday, which is typically lower than other days of the week because of how states report
Tom Boyden, one half of the YouTube fitness channel Juji & Tom, has been on a body transformation journey this year, having lost 37 pounds over the summer. In a new video, Tom breaks down some of the changes he made to his lifestyle in order to aid his weight loss and improve his performance in his workouts.
“If you look at the timeline, I progressively went from 197 pounds in February… then 190 in May,” he says. “And then I just reduced my calories, and slowly started upping my activity. So from May to now, about five months. The vast majority of it has happened in five months. I just had a vast layer of fat over a bunch of nice powerlifting muscles.”
Paying closer attention to nutrition has been the one change that’s had the single biggest impact, Tom explains. “I train all the time, and I work out, but it doesn’t matter if your diet is shit,” he says, adding that he has been finding lower sugar and calorie alternatives to his favorite foods, and reducing his fat intake. He has also been cooking more after falling out of the habit.
In addition to his diet, Tom changed the focus of his exercise, so that he was primarily doing strength training and aesthetic-led bodybuilding workouts. “It’s not that I didn’t train hard over the last two years, but we trained hard over a three-hour workout period,” he says. “Now, the main thing is training, diet, and overall activity, and just what we do in a day.”
“I do faster cardio every morning, walking after meals, just walking in general, riding my bike, trampoline, skateboarding, just all kinds of things,” he continues. “If I’m not active during the day, I’m like ‘what’s going on, why didn’t I go for a walk?’ And I’ll just go stretch, or do some mobility in the garage.”
This content is imported from YouTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
In the video, Tom also shares how he was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease as a teenager, recalling how a serious flare-up with his illness this year led to him being hospitalized. But after recovering, he’s back on his fitness routine. He also credits a variety of other semi-related lifestyle changes with having had a positive impact on maintaining his weight loss, including less stress and travel, which have helped him maintain a good sleep schedule and ensure he has the required levels of energy for his workouts.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
CANBERRA, Australia — Australia has recorded no new locally transmitted coronavirus infection for the first time in five months.
In Melbourne, the capital of Victoria state, which had the highest number of cases in the country, residents were enjoying the first weekend of cafes, restaurants and pubs reopening to walk-in customers.… Read More
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia has recorded no new locally transmitted coronavirus infection for the first time in five months.
In Melbourne, the capital of Victoria state, which had the highest number of cases in the country, residents were enjoying the first weekend of cafes, restaurants and pubs reopening to walk-in customers.
The city only has one mystery case without a known source. There are 61 active cases left across the state, down from 70 on Saturday.
State Deputy Premier James Merlino hailed Sunday’s zero figures as “another great day for Victoria,” but urged caution ahead of Australia’s most-prestigious horse race on Tuesday, the Melbourne Cup, known as the “race that stops a nation.” Australians traditionally gather in bars or in private homes to watch the event, a public holiday.
The race attracts crowds of more than 100,000 at Melbourne’s Flemington race course, but this year it will held without fans because of restrictions on public gatherings.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton urged Victorians to enjoy the Cup but to continue obeying guidance on mask-wearing and social distancing.
“The great majority of Melburnians know what do to,” Sutton said. “There will be a few who may be a bit liberal in their behavior.”
Sutton said the new wave of infections in Europe showed how quickly the coronavirus can reassert itself.
“What Europe is going through now is a consequence of not being able to get to this point where you can stay on top of very low numbers,” he said. “What we have created is very precious and we need to hold onto it tightly.”
Western Australia state on Sunday recorded one new case of COVID-19, a woman
Immunity to Covid-19 infection lingers for at least five months, researchers reported — and probably longer than that.
While the report may seem confusing and contradictory to a similar report out of Britain this week, it really isn’t. People’s bodies produce an army of immune compounds in response to an infection and some are overwhelming at first, dying off quickly, while others build more slowly.
The new report out Wednesday shows 90% of people who recover from Covid-19 infections keep a stable antibody response.
“While some reports have come out saying antibodies to this virus go away quickly, we have found just the opposite — that more than 90% of people who were mildly or moderately ill produce an antibody response strong enough to neutralize the virus, and the response is maintained for many months,” Florian Krammer, a professor of vaccinology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who led the study team, said in a statement.
“This is essential for effective vaccine development.”
The team looked at the antibody responses of more than 30,000 people who tested positive for Covid-19 at Mount Sinai’s Health System between March and October. They characterized their antibody responses as low, moderate or high. More than 90% had moderate to high levels, or titers, of antibodies to the spike protein of the virus — the structure it uses to grapple the cells it infects.
They then closely studied 121 patients who recovered and donated their plasma — once three months after they first developed symptoms, and again five months later.
They did see a drop-off in some antibodies. But others persisted, they reported in the journal Science.
“The serum antibody titer we measured in individuals initially were likely produced by plasmablasts, cells that act as first responders to an invading virus and come together to produce initial bouts of antibodies whose strength soon wanes,” said Dr. Ania Wajnberg, director of Clinical Antibody Testing at the Mount Sinai Hospital.
“The sustained antibody levels that we subsequently observed
White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNBC in an interview Wednesday that the United States is “going in the wrong direction” as coronavirus cases rise in 47 states and infected patients overwhelm hospitals across the country.
“If things do not change, if they continue on the course we’re on, there’s gonna be a whole lot of pain in this country with regard to additional cases and hospitalizations, and deaths,” the White House coronavirus taskforce member said in an interview Wednesday evening on “The News with Shepard Smith.”
States in the northeast held the virus in check over the summer, but are seeing cases climb again. New York topped half a million confirmed cases while hospitalizations in New Jersey crossed 1,000 for the first time since July.
Fauci noted, however, that cities like New York and Philadelphia are more equipped to deal with the surge, whereas locations in the northwest and heartland are going to have a more difficult time with the pandemic.
“They never had the kind of hospital and intensive care facility and flexibility that some of the larger hospitals in larger cities have,” said Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “They’re concerned that if the trajectory continues, they may be in a position where they are going to be strapped for things like intensive care beds,” said Fauci.
In the Midwest, cases and hospitalizations are surging at record numbers. Wisconsin had a 7-day positivity rate of 28% while Minnesota reported its highest number of Covid-19 hospitalizations to-date. Hospitalizations have tripled in less than three weeks in El Paso, Texas. Joel Hendricks, the Chief Medical Officer at El Paso’s University Medical Center even warned about the possibility of rationing hospital care there during an interview with NBC’S Gabe Gutierrez.
“Rationing of care is the worst thing doctors ever want to talk about,” said Hendricks. “Having said that, we have looked at that, we’re in the process of looking at that.”
Dr. Fauci told Smith that he doesn’t foresee the United States taking the same lockdown measures that Melbourne, Australia took to curb its summer spike in cases. Melbourne only reopened Wednesday after spending three months shutdown.
“There is very little appetite for a lockdown in this country,” said Fauci. “There’s going to be major pushback both from above and at the local level, however, what Melbourne did, what Australia did as a country, was very successful.”
Dr. Fauci suggested doubling down on masks, distancing, and avoiding crowds and congregations amid Americans’ coronavirus fatigue, and added that the country would “be much better than we’re doing right now.”
For more of Dr. Anthony Fauci’s interview with Shepard Smith, watch the full interview above.