- Melania Trump did not wear a face mask when she voted in person in Palm Beach, Florida
- Twitter users criticized Trump for stepping out without a mask despite having contracted COVID-19
- Some netizens came to Trump’s defense and said the first lady was no longer contagious
Melania Trump has been criticized on Twitter after ditching her face mask when she went to the polls to cast her ballot on Tuesday.
Trump voted in person in Palm Beach, Florida, sporting an outfit that reportedly cost $22,000 but didn’t include a face covering. This didn’t sit well with some netizens, who said that the 50-year-old first lady didn’t learn her lesson after testing positive for COVID-19 last month.
“She doesn’t really care. Especially since she has already had C-19. No one else matters to her,” one wrote.
“Irresponsible leadership – she needs a good fine. Take back some of the tax payer money she spends,” another Twitter user posted.
“Did not even learn one bit on what happened to his husband catching the CCP virus,” a third netizen commented.
Others, however, came to Trump’s defense, claiming that there was no need for her to wear a mask because she is no longer contagious. Some said they had no problem with her ditching a face covering since she is unlikely to come in contact with people.
“She’s surrounded by secret service and won’t get within hundreds of feet from anyone!! She’s the First Lady, no one can go near her. She doesn’t need a mask!” a Twitter user wrote.
“Why would someone who just had the virus, has antibodies, and is no longer contagious wear a mask?” another tweeted.
“Well she did have COVID, so currently unlikely to get infected or be infectious…” a third netizen wrote.
Some pointed out that Trump could be susceptible to getting infected again even after testing negative for the coronavirus.
“Having COVID already doesn’t stop you from being infectious again. If she came in contact with the virus again, is asymptomatic, or simply carrying it, she could infect others,” one Twitter user argued.
President Donald Trump announced via Twitter on Oct. 2 that he and Melania had tested positive for COVID-19 and would be going into quarantine.
Two weeks later, Melania penned an essay for the White House website about her battle with coronavirus, revealing that their 14-year-old son, Barron, also tested positive. Unlike the president and Barron, however, Melania said she exhibited symptoms of COVID-19, including body aches, fatigue, a cough and headaches.
All three have since tested negative for COVID-19.