accused

dentist

NYC dentist accused of assaulting neighbors, damaging property

NYC dentist in an upscale Chelsea condo building is accused of assaulting his neighbors and destroying property with a baseball bat – as residents fear violent behavior will end in a ‘murder-suicide’

  • Surveillance video obtained by NBC4 shows Dr Michael Medeiros, 50, attacking one of his neighbors last week on the street near their building in Chelsea 
  • Other footage from the building shows Medeiros allegedly screaming at neighbors, banging on doors and throwing items inside the building 
  • He has been arrested multiple times and has been captured on surveillance video being taken into custody by police on at least one occasion
  • Medeiros has multiple court dates set for next month for charges including property damage, criminal trespass and illegally entering a dwelling 
  • His lawyer says Medeiros has been falsely accused. DailyMail.com’s calls seeking comment from Medeiros have gone unanswered 

A New York City dentist has been accused of terrorizing neighbors in his upscale Manhattan apartment building by allegedly assaulting people, slashing tires and damaging property with a baseball bat. 

Surveillance video obtained by NBC4 shows Dr Michael Medeiros, 50, apparently attacking one of his neighbors last week on the street near their building in Chelsea. 

Other footage taken inside and outside the building shows Medeiros allegedly screaming at neighbors, banging on doors and throwing items inside the building. 

Medeiros, who runs a nearby dental clinic, has been arrested multiple times and has been captured on surveillance video being taken into custody by police on at least one occasion.

Dr Michael Medeiros, 50, , who runs a nearby dental clinic, has been arrested multiple times and has been captured on surveillance video being taken into custody by police on at least one occasion

Dr Michael Medeiros, 50, , who runs a nearby dental clinic, has been arrested multiple times and has been captured on surveillance video being taken into custody by police on at least one occasion

Medeiros has multiple court dates set for next month for charges including property damage, criminal trespass and illegally entering a dwelling.

Medeiros runs a nearby dental clinic in Manhattan's West Village. He is pictured above in an undated photos

Medeiros runs a nearby dental clinic in Manhattan’s West Village. He is pictured above in an undated photos

His lawyer says Medeiros has been falsely accused. 

DailyMail.com’s calls seeking comment from Medeiros have gone unanswered. 

Residents, including Mary Conway-Spiegel and Bob Spiegel, say they have called police on Medeiros multiple times over his alleged aggressive behavior. 

They claim that the violence has become so bad that it will end in a ‘murder-suicide’. 

DailyMail.com has contacted the New York Police Department for comment.

Medeiros was arrested again on Monday after allegedly threatening to kill Spiegel and biting the building’s security guard on the hand. 

Surveillance video from November 21 shows Medeiros allegedly punching Spiegal as he emerged from a parking garage near their condo building. 

A passerby could be seen trying to intervene as Medeiros allegedly hit his neighbor.  

Surveillance video from November 21 shows Medeiros allegedly punching one of his neighbors as he emerged from a parking garage near their condo building

Surveillance video from November 21 shows Medeiros allegedly punching one of his neighbors as he emerged from a parking garage near their condo building

Other footage taken inside and outside the building shows Medeiros allegedly screaming at neighbors and banging on  fire escape doors

Other footage taken inside and outside the building shows Medeiros allegedly screaming at neighbors and banging on 

Read More
dentist

Halifax law firm preps for potential class-action against dentist accused of misconduct

A Halifax law firm is preparing to potentially file a class-action lawsuit against a prominent Halifax-area dentist whose licence was suspended this week after several allegations of misconduct.



a man smiling for the camera: The Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia has announced that they have suspended Dr. Errol Gaum's dental license indefinitely, effective immediately.


© Granville Dental
The Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia has announced that they have suspended Dr. Errol Gaum’s dental license indefinitely, effective immediately.

Halifax law firm preps for potential class-action against dentist accused of misconduct

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

MacGillivary Law is accepting stories from former or current patients of Dr. Errol Gaum, a dentist at the Granville Dental clinic in Bedford, N.S.

Misconduct allegations mount against Bedford dentist

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

“We’re here to listen to what people have to say and we’re here to help assess any potential claims that they may have,” said Angeli Swinamer, a partner at the firm, in an interview.

More than 150 people have expressed interest in being part of the potential lawsuit to date, she added.

Read more: Bedford, N.S. dentist’s licence suspended following numerous misconduct allegations

The news comes the same day as a number of Gaum’s former patients held a protest in Bedford, outside his most recent place of employment.

“I thought I was going crazy because at the time, no one was listening to me,” said Mary MacDonald, who was treated by Gaum for 13 years, and attended the rally Saturday .

“It’s because of him I’m scared to go to a dentist today. I haven’t been to a dentist since I left him in 1988.”

MacDonald alleged Gaum did not wait for freezing to kick in before beginning an operation on her gums and told her if she kept crying, the freezing “wouldn’t work” and he would have to start over.

She said she would consider joining a class action lawsuit “not for the money,” but to ensure no one else suffers similar treatment.

READ MORE: Parents accuse Bedford, N.S. dentist of malpractice, call for licence to be revoked

At the protest, many told Global News they suffered in silence for years, believing they were alone.

“I didn’t tell (my mother) until years later, because I thought I was bad, and I got a slap for being a bad girl for not opening,” said Christine Shupe, who was treated by Gaum at the age of five.

“It left me with a lot of anxiety over the years and trust issues towards men.”

Misconduct allegations mount against Bedford dentist

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

Marcia Olsen, another former patient, said Gaum’s rough treatment left bruising on her face and neck as a child.

He or his staff, she added, then threatened to blame it on her mother’s daycare business if she complained to the provincial dental board.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Read more: Parents accuse Bedford, N.S., dentist of malpractice, call for licence to be revoked

The youngest protester on Saturday was just seven years old.

“He told me to shut up and he put his hand on my mouth,” said Azaryiah

Read More
dentist

Halifax law firm preps for potential class-action against dentist accused of misconduct – Halifax

A Halifax law firm is preparing to potentially file a class-action lawsuit against a prominent Halifax-area dentist who has had his licence suspended after several allegations of misconduct.

McGillivary Law has begun to accept stories from former or current patients of Dr. Errol Gaum, a dentist at Granville Dental in Bedford, N.S.

“If you are inquiring about our pending class action in relation to Dr. Errol Gaum please complete this form and submit. We will be in touch within 48 hours,” a form on the law firm’s website reads.

The firm did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more:
Bedford, N.S. dentist’s licence suspended following numerous misconduct allegations

The news of a potential lawsuit comes the same day as a planned protest at the Granville Dental clinic on Saturday.

Story continues below advertisement

The goal, according to a Facebook event for the Broken Trust Protest, is to raise awareness for the “victims of Dr.Errold Gaum.”

Several patients and former patients came forward to accuse Gaum of professional malpractice by using excessive force on children in his dentist chair.

One account was from Ryan Binder, a parent from Glace Bay, N.S., whose six-year-old daughter was referred to Granville Dental to get a tooth removed.

Binder claimed Gaum “wasn’t letting his daughter breathe” because he was holding her nose during the treatment. He also claimed Gaum told his daughter to “shut up” during the appointment.


Click to play video 'Quispamsis calls for change as police officer in misconduct hearing retires'



Quispamsis calls for change as police officer in misconduct hearing retires


Quispamsis calls for change as police officer in misconduct hearing retires – Oct 28, 2020

Gaum’s licence to practice dentistry in Nova Scotia was suspended indefinitely this week by the Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia.

Story continues below advertisement

Dr. Curtis Gregoire, the deputy registrar of the Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia, told Global News in a statement on Thursday that the decision came after the board’s complaints committee held an emergency meeting to consider a number of complaints against Guam.

After reviewing the complaints, Gaum’s license was suspended.

On Saturday, Dr. Don Moors, speaking on behalf of the dental board, said the investigation remains ongoing but that they could not provide specific details on the investigation in order to protect patient confidentiality.

Halifax Regional Police have also confirmed to Global News that they’ve received at least four complaints about a man who was working as a dentist at 1083 Bedford Hwy. in Bedford.

They are investigating the complaints, Const. John MacLeod, a spokesperson for the police force said. No charges have been laid.

Read more:
Parents accuse Bedford, N.S., dentist of malpractice, call for licence to be revoked

Dr. Gaum’s attorney Joel Pink has declined repeated attempts for an interview, only saying Dr. Gaum will not be commenting until the Provincial Dental Board of

Read More
dentist

Black dentist says NYPD accused him of breaking into his own office

A black Manhattan dentist says cops racially profiled him when they accused him of breaking into his own office while he was taking out the trash one night in March, according to papers filed with the city comptroller’s office.

Dr. Benjamin Shirley, 41, briefly left and came back into his Upper West Side office building after throwing out the trash around midnight on March 9, when the cops allegedly approached the door shining lights inside and demanding that he identify himself, according to a $5 million notice of claim against the city and surveillance video of the incident.

The cops spoke to Shirley through the intercom threatening to break into the office despite the fact he told them he was the owner, his lawyer told The Post.

Two cops, “attempted to unlawfully gain entry to the building by force and repeatedly called [Shirley] threatening to destroy his property and enter with force if he did not come outside despite the fact that at all times, they lacked any probable cause or reasonable belief that [Shirley] had committed any crime,” the notice of claim alleges.

“They were threatening to break in, they were threatening to break down the security equipment, they were threatening to break down the door and go inside,” Shirley’s lawyer, Reza Rezvani, told The Post.

The incident made Shirley scared for his life, prompting him to call 911, the claim papers say.

“I’m actually being harassed by the cops here,” Shirley said in the 911 call obtained by The Post. “I’m pretty scared here. I’m working in my office and they shine the flashlight in my face.”

“I’m trying to ask them why they are bothering me, and he said he saw me walking in here,” Shirley told the 911 operator. “They are asking me for my ID and I’m not doing anything … I don’t know if it’s because I’m African American.”

“Imagine how terrifying it is to have to call the police on the police and then to be met with no help,” Rezvani said. “It’s the definition of helplessness.”

After roughly 30 minutes and two more cops arriving to the scene, Shirley came to the door and had to show his ID — which listed the office address — before the police finally left.

“Despite the fact that [Shirley’s] state-issued identification lists the address of the location of incident, [Shirley] was forced to provide his identification to [the police officers] multiple times before they would agree to leave,” the claim papers continue.

Rezvani told The Post that Shirley didn’t go outside to meet the cops sooner during the encounter because he was scared.

“It’s midnight, he’s black, they are shining flashlights inside — that’s how you set up all kinds of bad things happening,” Rezvani said. “To casually walk out, it’s not possible in that scenario.”

“What happened to him is common and it shouldn’t be,” Rezvani said. “The idea that this could happen to a man going to his office because of his skin

Read More
health

Javaid Perwaiz, ob/gyn accused of unnecessary procedures, testifies

“Yes, I knew the 30-day requirement. I just couldn’t say no,” he said from the witness stand Thursday. “I’m an advocate for my patients.”

He said he performed the sterilizations in contradiction to the requirement to benefit his patients. Often, they had discussed sterilization with doctors who referred them. They told him, he testified, that their insurance would run out if he waited or that they could not get a ride or a babysitter on other dates. Asked during cross examination if he could name which of the patients in the indictments told him that their insurance was running out, Perwaiz could not.

Backdating forms is part of three broad categories of charges against Perwaiz. Prosecutors say he altered medical records to justify unnecessary surgery, often scaring women by mentioning the threat of cancer. They allege he changed due dates so he could induce women into labor on the Saturdays he was operating on other patients at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center. And they contend he billed insurers for office medical procedures done with broken equipment.

He is also charged with falsifying his application to health-care providers by omitting a felony conviction for tax fraud in 1996, which resulted in a brief suspension of his license, and failing to admit his loss of privileges at Maryview Hospital in 1983. Perwaiz, 70, has been jailed since his November arrest.

In a full day of testimony, Perwaiz, led by defense lawyer Emily Munn, defended the care he gave to the two dozen patients named in the 61 counts against him. In case after case, she broadcast his medical charts and the form he filed with Chesapeake Regional Medical Center before surgery. The charts were identified by the initials of the women prosecutors charge he operated on unnecessarily — D.B., D.P., A.G., T.D.C., A.F., A.N. S.N., D.B.D — and by their age and the complaints they wrote down, which several women who testified previously said were false.

In case after case, Perwaiz explained that the complaints by the women — often pelvic pain, bleeding and cramping — justified his procedures. Often, he said, women asked him to be sterilized. In none of the cases of women named in the indictments, Perwaiz said, did he refer them to other doctors after finding evidence of cancer.

During cross examination by Elizabeth Yusi, an assistant U.S. attorney, Perwaiz said due dates for patients were changed not for his convenience so he would be paid for the deliveries, but because he relied on a “range” of possible dates from several ultrasound examinations. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and Chesapeake hospital guidelines advise against inducing labor before 39 weeks without a medical reason, saying it leads to health problems for the baby. Chesapeake Regional Medical Center prohibited inducing labor before 39 weeks without a medical reason.

Perwaiz said his own research indicated no reason for that policy. “There is no difference in immediate morbidity and mortality” he told Yusi. “I find it not understandable that we enforce

Read More